Do you want to get rid of TMJ dysfunction but want a safe and non-invasive treatment? Avoid surgery with the use of a TENS Machine to adjust your jaw issues. Call now at (07) 3210 2055 to book your initial consultation.
A Transcutaneous Electroneural Stimulation (TENS) machine is a highly-effective, safe and non-surgical treatment option for TMJ Dysfunction. It is designed to take patients out of their pre-programmed jaw position in a bid to establish an ideal, pain free jaw position.
How does the TENS machine work?
To begin, adhesive electro pads are placed over the jaw and facial muscles responsible for controlling jaw function. The TENS machine stimulates and lengthens these muscles via small, but painless electrical pulses, resulting in full muscle lengthening, increased oxygen and blood flow. Treatment time ranges between 46-60 minutes for adults and 20-30 minutes on children.
Once the jaw is completely relaxed and built up lactic acid is released, Dr Michel can determine the proper jaw position and take an impression of the patient’s correct bite.
From here, a dental orthotic is tailor made to fit the correct bite. This is worn over the teeth for a prescribed period of time in order to maintain a desired jaw position. The orthotic can be removable or fixed, depending on the patient’s needs and treatment plan.
Benefits of Tens Machine
With the TENS machine, you can manage your chronic or severe TMJ pain without any need for potent drugs. It is designed to disrupt the way a body identifies and registers pain, in so doing, offering a valuable pain relief method for chronic and acute TMJ problems.
When you are suffering from TMJ pain, the affected part of your body would automatically send tiny impulses to your brain. In response to these pain signals, the body releases natural pain relief chemicals to manage the pain by dulling the sensation. However, these natural defences will not sufficiently block the sensation in acute and chronic pain situations. The TENS machine works by emitting its own electrical pulses to interfere with the pain signals as an effective form of pain relief.
The following are benefits of TENS machine as an effective pain-blocking system:
- Natural way to control pain without the use of potent prescription medications – many with potentially harmful side effects.
- More cost-effective compared to expensive pain drugs that add up over time.
- Machine may be used and reused without refills, offering a more economical pain management method for both healthcare provider and patient.
- Treats a broad range of conditions and injuries, including TMJ pain, osteoarthritis, cancer pain, sports injury, post-operative pain, pregnancy pain, nerve injuries and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Minimally invasive and non-surgical.
- Ideal for patients who have difficulty ingesting drugs or wish to avoid them altogether.
- Unlike prescription pain drugs, TENS treatment is non-addictive and completely safe.
- Little or no side effects, apart from rare cases of patients who experience minor skin irritation from the adhesive pads.
- Promotes healing through proper blood circulation as the treatment increases blood flow to the affected area.
- Comfortable for most. Many patients find the TENS therapy relaxing akin to sensation of being massaged.
- Improves muscle tone through stimulation of the area’s muscle fibres. Although not meant as a weight-loss machine, some people use a specific setting of the TENS unit as a muscle-toning form of “workout”.
Is jaw pain taking over your life? Schedule an appointment with Dr. Kat Marhfour, your Brisbane dentist to assess your jaw and discuss treatment options to alleviate any discomfort. Click here to book.